Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Fireworks are Coming! Three Tips to Keep Your Chiweenie Safe this Fourth of July

The Fourth of July.
14661393760_ac9f7b03c2_b
As an American with a deep love of history, I adore the Fourth of July, and feel it’s important to honor those who risked all so we can enjoy honest to goodness freedom.  As someone with critters, I’m less thrilled with the holiday, particularly since Michigan legalized the use of the huge fireworks a few years back.

Oddly enough, the dogs in my life don’t seem to mind fireworks, but my internship at a stable puts me into contact with a few horses who do. The barn dogs, Toby and Cougar also don’t seem to mind the thunder, especially if they're in the stable office. I don't know how Anya will react. This is our first Fourth together and I really don’t know how she’s going to react. I’m hoping, that since she’s hasn’t exhibited any thunder anxiety or noise phobia, that she’ll be good about fireworks. Of course, I’ll also be thrilled if the neighbors decide to skip the firework party they’ve thrown the past few years.

Meanwhile, here are a few tips you can use to keep your Chiweenie, and other types of dogs, safe and comfortable during the upcoming fireworks displays.

Keep Your Dog Inside

Even if your dog is normally outdoors, when there’s a threat of fireworks, it’s best to bring them in. The fireworks can trigger a strong enough fear reaction that a dog who never shows any inclination to leave home will jump a fence. Besides, they’ll be more relaxed when surrounded by the humans they love. Some dogs are most comfortable when they’re crated during the fireworks shows., especially if
three sides of the crate are covered. Turning on the television or radio will help disguise the sound of the exploding fireworks.

Get a Thunder shirt
I meant to get a thunder shirt for Anya before now, but it hasn’t happened. I’m hoping I don’t regret my dawdling. The thunder shirt to a chiweenie is what a swaddle is to a baby, it fits snuggly and eases their stress. You should put your dog into the shirt prior to the 10806045045_41c294f8e7_nstart of the fireworks show.

Get your Walk in Early
Don’t wait until it’s almost dark before walking your chiweenie. You’ll want to take them out as soon as the ground is cool enough for them to walk without burning their feet. The early walk decreases the odds of you not returning home before the first firework is set off. Before going on your walk, take a magic marker and clearly print your phone number of your dog’s harness and collar. This increases the odds of your chiweenie being returned to you if they’re startled and get away while on
the walk.

When walking on Fourth of July weekend, don’t get casual with you chiweenie. You never know when someone is going to set off a cannon (it happens in a few towns near me), or pop cherry bombs as your walking past, spooking your pet. When this happens, you’ll be glad you had a tight grip on your leash.

The most important thing to remember is that if your chiweenie is upset about the fireworks, it’s your responsibility to talk quietly to them and remind them that they’re loved and in a safe place.

Anya and I wish everyone a happy and safe Fourth of July!

Photo Credits: Blog title photo: photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49195807@N00/14661393760">Fireworks on Brisbanes Story Bridge. Riverfire 2012</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">(license)</a>
Interior Photo of Anya the Farm Chiweenie: Personal collection of Jess Schira
Interior Photo of Dalmation in Thunder shirt: photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/47439717@N05/10806045045">Thundershirt 2/3</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>
Interior Photo of Anya the Farm Chiweenie: Personal collection of Jess Schira

1 comment:

  1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete